‘Gangrape’ victim dies
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
An alleged gangrape victim, who attempted suicide by setting herself ablaze at her house in Deoria on January 23, died at the BRD Medical College in Gorakhpur on Saturday evening.
The police said the woman took the extreme step as she was upset over the incident.
The 24-year-old victim, who had sustained more than 80 per cent burns, was shifted from Deoria district hospital to Gorakhpur after her condition deteriorated. On Saturday evening, she died at the hospital.
Inspector Suraj Pal Singh of Kotwali police station said all five accused in the case had been arrested. The woman had been staying with her father, G Rajbhar, in Deoria for the last two years after a marital dispute.
Rajbhar stated in the FIR that on January 23 when his daughter was returning home after visiting a friend in a nearby village, Bablu of the same village stopped her and forcibly dragged her to his house, which is in an isolated spot. He was accompanied by his three associates Balwant, Gulel and Chhathhu. The accused detained the girl for over two hours and raped her.
The police said, the next day, the woman bolted her room from inside and set herself on fire.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow