‘I attempted suicide in court so that rapists are punished’
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The girl, a resident of Amraiwadi area in the city, had consumed pesticide in front of the magistrate. She was apparently tired of attending court hearings for the last five years.
The girl was allegedly gangraped in 2007. Her father had lodged an FIR a few days after the incident when she recovered from her injuries during her 14-day hospitalisation.
When the police did not act on the FIR, the girl's mother filed an application in the metropolitan court, which began looking into the matter. The girl has been attending the court hearings ever since and was reportedly disturbed and depressed.
Investigating Officer PU Sisodiya said, "The girl has narrated the whole incident to us. She says she was depressed and lost hope due to the delay in justice even as the accused walk free. We spoke to her parents to make representations, if necessary."
"We have recorded statements of the court registrar and other staff of the magistrate. They also said the girl was upset due to the delay in court proceedings," he added.
In her statements to police, the girl reportedly said she had attempted suicide earlier also but she did not die. "...I am so unlucky that I tried to die twice but survived. I could have committed suicide at home but I decided to consume poison in the court to draw its attention and punish the rapists," the police quoted her as saying.
DGP orders probe
DGP Chittranjan Singh on Thursday directed Ahmedabad Police Commissioner S K Saikia to inquire into the reasons behind the gangrape victim attempting suicide in a local court. "The CP has to submit the inquiry report in a week," Singh said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow