‘My husband is a goon, not a rapist’
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Suresh alias Richard alias Suresh Langdo Kantibhai Dedawala (Chhara), convicted and sentenced to 31 years in jail for murder and rape, put up a strange defence — he could not have raped a Muslim woman since he was married to a Muslim.
The court, of course, shot down the argument.
Suresh Langdo, it now turns out, had scores to settle with Muslims living in Naroda Patiya, where he lived for about a year before moving to nearby Chharavaas in Naroda.
In 1995, Suresh married Farzana, who later changed her name to Seema. The local Muslims apparently did not take kindly to this inter-community marriage and boycotted the family, forcing the couple to move to Naroda.
According to Seema, Suresh never forgave them for that.
However, even after the sentencing, Seema is convinced her husband did not rape anyone but admits he worked as a henchman for leaders of pro-Hindu outfits.
"I knew he will be targetted. We were hated in Naroda Patiya because he is a Hindu and I am a Muslim.
I never knew he would have to pay such a big price. My husband is a goon, not a rapist. He was a victim of the hatred Muslims had towards him," says an upset Seema, who rushed back home along with her 12-year-old son after the sentencing was announced on Friday.
Suresh Langdo (he is lame due to Polio) is a known name among Naroda residents. Seema says she tried to mend his ways, but he was inclined towards crime and had come under the influence of Babu Bajrangi.
The couple also have a 15-year-old daughter. While the son, also a sculptor, studies in a municipal school, the girl stays at home and does embroidery work to support her mother who works as a house maid.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow