‘Smart’ licences: First phase in Jan, to cover 10 districts
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
The state's transport department will begin the process of issuing Smart Card Driving Licences (SCDLs) in 10 districts in the first fortnight of January 2013. The process of issuing SCDLs will be extended to the whole state by April.
"The SCDL was a much awaited service and now we are ready to introduce it in the state. A user-friendly process for issuance of driving licences which is free of intermediaries has been designed," Raja Mahendra Aridaman Singh, Transport Minister stated on Saturday.
As per the application process of SCDL, the forms are available on the website - www.uptransport.org - along with instructions. After downloading the forms, the applicant has the option to book a time slot as per his convenience 15 days in advance. The applicant then has to visit the designated RTO at the appointed date and time for submitting his application form and other documents. "The applicant's biometrics including finger prints and photo will be recorded and the requisite fee will be deposited," Singh said. The SCDL will be sent to the applicant's address by speed post within 7-10 days. The minister also apprised that applicants holding driving certificate issued by a driver's training school authorised by the transport department will be exempted from the driving test. The fee for a permanent driving licence on smart card is Rs 200.
To be covered in first phase:
Lucknow, Kanpur, Ghaziabad, Agra, Jhansi, Allahabad, Barabanki, Varanasi, Aligarh and Meerut
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow