‘Sonia Gandhi enacted drama in LS, but won’t withdraw support to govt in its last yr: Mayawati
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
What do you have to say to the SP's claims that the SC/ST promotions quota Bill is against other castes?
These allegations are wrong and not based on facts. SC/ST quota in promotions in government jobs has been in place since 1955. It's not new. The Supreme Court in 2006 imposed three conditions which rendered it ineffective. But, it did not abolish the provision. The blame lies with this central government. First, it did not field a competent counsel to put the facts before the court; second, it did not go for a review; and third, it did not come out with an amendment.
But they have brought it now?
They are not bringing it on their own. Why did they (Congress) not do it in 2006 if they were really interested in the welfare of SC/STs? We had to agitate in the last session to get Cabinet approval. And you have seen our agitation this time to get it introduced.
How do you then explain Sonia Gandhi jumping into the well of the House when an SP member snatched the Bill from a minister?
What happened on December 19 was a drama. There was a similar situation with the women's reservation Bill in the Rajya Sabha in 2010, but marshals were used and SP members evicted for its passage. When situation repeated itself on December 19 in Lok Sabha on this Bill, it was the government's responsibility to request the Chair to use marshals. Even on December 20, the Congress did not want order in the House for which they forced the BJP to agitate. It's a well known convention that whenever the senior-most leader from the Opposition wants to speak, the government requests the Chair to allow it. L K Advani was making a request. Had they allowed it, they (BJP) would not have protested. But, neither the government made a request nor the Chair heeded to his request. It was all pre-planned.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief’s son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM