‘The impression of fear, it’s good for me... I like it’
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Excerpts from The Indian Express Editor-in-Chief Shekhar Gupta's interview with Bal Thackeray on NDTV's Walk the Talk, published in January 2007
My guest today is, well, there are many ways to describe him— ageless angry young man of Mumbai, cartoonist, and the Lion in Winter... so let me ask Balasaheb Thackeray which one does he prefer.
Call me a tiger.
A tiger for all seasons?
All seasons, yes. There is no season. When I met Narendra Modi, I said here is a Gujarat lion. He liked it.
Considering that not many people say good things about him...
...Everyone was demanding Modi must go... I told BJP, "If Modi goes, Gujarat goes..."
But remember, Atalji had gone to Gujarat and talked about Raj Dharma... There was an issue of Raj Dharma in what happened in Gujarat, wasn't there?
Raj Dharma? Huh! What's Raj Dharma? There is no such thing anywhere in the country. There is only one dharma, Muslim dharma.
I am fascinated by your saying that you are not a Gandhian because today Gandhi has become very popular...
Sometimes you love a person, admire a person, respect a person... as it is in my case. I don't know why people love me, admire me...
They also fear you.
I welcome that fear.
And why should they fear you?
That you should ask them. When they meet me they say, "Oh, such a wonderful man." They never think he is (I am) an arrogant man. (They think) I am a simple man. After meeting me, they carry that impression.
But not everybody can meet you .
That's the impression (of fear) outside. And it's good for me...I like it.
You see nothing wrong with dictatorship if it is benevolent?
No. But it has to be benevolent dictatorship. Why I am where I am? The mobs need leadership.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held