11 die as vehicle falls into gorge in Himachal
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Eleven people were killed and eight injured when an overcrowded multi-utility vehicle carrying locals skidded off the road and rolled into a 250-ft deep gorge near Timbi at Tukhraha village on Shillai Paonta road in Sirmaur district of Himachal Pradesh on Saturday, police said.
Superintendent of Police Sanjeev Lakhanpal said eight persons, including a couple Kanwar Singh and Kamla Devi, died on the spot while three succumbed to their injuries on way to hospital.
The injured were admitted to the hospital at Paonta Sahib and Shillai while four critically injured persons were referred to PGI, Chandigarh. Most of the victims belonged to Bakral and Timbi villages of Shillai block.
While eyewitness told the police that the vehicle was overloaded and driver was rash, Balak Ram, the SHO of Shillai police station, said investigations are on.
SDM Paonta Sahib, Tashi Sandup, said an immediate relief of Rs 15,000 was given to the family of the deceased while Rs 7,000 was given to those with serious injuries and Rs 1,500 to those with minor injuries.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held