14-yr-old ‘gangraped, set ablaze’ in Bengal
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
A girl was admitted to the SSKM Hospital in Kolkata severe burn injuries Wednesday, with her father alleging she had been set on fire after being gangraped.
The 14-year-old girl, admitted with 65 per cent burns in a semi-conscious state, is in critical condition, hospital sources said.
The girl used to stay home in Baruipur's Bhata village to look after her two-year-old sibling when her parents went to work. On Tuesday afternoon, three local youth allegedly gangraped her and then tried to kill her by setting her afire, her father said. A neighbour heard her cries and came to her rescue.
"While she was being taken to the hospital, she said the trio had raped her," said a neighbour.
Her father has lodged a complaint at Baruipur police station accusing the three youths of gangrape and attempt to murder.
Police officials, however, said there was a possibility of it being a suicide attempt. "A complaint has been booked and on its basis, three persons — Bappa Mondal, 12, Sudghanshu Sarakar, 15, and Chotu Naskar, 20 —- have been arrested.
The result of the medical test is awaited. "We are yet to take the statement of the victim but prima facie impression is there has been no rape," said Deepak Sarkar, SDPO, Baruipur. With PTI inputs
HC seeks action against channel
New Delhi: The Delhi HC Wednesday asked the Centre to act against TV channel Colors for "misusing" the national anthem in advertisements aired in cinema halls for its reality show, Big Boss 6. The court sought action within a week on a PIL, filed by advocate Jeetender Gupta, which accused Colors of "hurting sentiments of citizens".
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow