15 rapes in 1 mth in Haryana makes Om Prakash Chautala prescribe 'child marriage' to curb sex crimes by youths
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
As Haryana witnessed another rape – the 15th in a month, former Chief Minister Om Prakash Chautala on Wednesday backed the idea of Khap panchayats to reduce the marriageable age of boys and girls to 16 years to curb incidents of sexual assault.
After submitting a memorandum to Governor Jagannath Pahadia over recent cases of rape in Haryana, Chautala slammed the Congress government in the state for the "worsening" law and order situation.
"Four cases of rape were reported on the very day Congress president Sonia Gandhi came to meet a rape victim in Jind district," the INLD leader claimed.
When asked to respond to Khap panchayats' controversial suggestion, Chautala gave his support, saying it will help curbing such crimes against women.
Following a rise in cases of rape in Haryana, Khap panchayats had suggested doing away with the marriageable age limit, claiming it will check such crimes.
"Boys and girls should be married by the time they turn 16, so that they do not stray... this will decrease the incidents of rape," Sube Singh, a Khap representative had said.
A Dalit girl was allegedly abducted and raped by two youths in Kasba Kalyat area of Kaithal district in the 15th incident of sexual assault on women within a month in Haryana.
The victims included teenaged girls.
Kaithal SP, Kuldeep Singh Yadav said police have registered a case against two youths Rakesh and Pawan under Section 376 (rape) of IPC on the basis of the statement made by the victim after the incident yesterday.
She was also medically examined, he said.
He said the matter was still under investigation and both the accused have been arrested.
The victim made the statement before the magistrate and levelled charges of rape against those arrested.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow