19 killed in fire at Kolkata market, 'nobody follows norms,' says Mamata
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee today directed the police, fire brigade and the municipal corporation to submit a report on the fire at the Sealdah market here within three days and announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh to the kin of those dead.
"A compensation of Rs 2 lakh will be paid to the kin of those who have died in the fire and Rs 50,000 to those injured," Banerjee said after visiting the market housing a godown-cum-office complex in the Sealdah area in central Kolkata, where the inferno has already claimed 18 lives and left several others injured.
Banerjee said that the Kolkata Police, Fire Brigade and Kolkata Municipal Corporation have been asked to file a joint report on the fire within three days.
The chief minister urged people, who sleep in markets in the night to be more careful and take precautionary measures like not to light a fire near inflammable materials.
"They should be more careful. Mischief-makers can also cause damage," she said.
"Everything will be investigated to find out the cause of the fire," she said before leaving for the Medical College morgue where the dead bodies were taken..
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow