19-yr-old tribal girl raped in Dangs, one arrested
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Two men allegedly raped a 19-year-old tribal girl in the forest area of the Dangs district on Tuesday afternoon. One of them has been arrested, police said, adding that search is on for the other suspect.
The two suspects have been identified as Harshad Bharwad (29), a native of Bhavnagar district and his friend Shanker Parmar (40), a native of Surendranagar district.
According to police, the victim, a resident of Majirpada village in the Dangs district, was alone in her house as her parents left for some work. The suspects, who were doing odd jobs in the same village for couple of months, visited her house and forcefully took her to a nearby forest area, around two kilometres from her house and raped her for two hours.
The duo dumped her in the forest area. The girl returned home and waited for her parents to come back. She then told her mother about the incident and later she took her to Ahwa police station and lodged an FIR against the two suspects.
The police arrested Parmar, one of the suspects named in the FIR, from a bus stand, while the other suspect went missing after the incident.
The medical examinations of the victim were carried out at government hospital in Ahwa on Wednesday afternoon, police said.
Deputy Superintendent of Police R B Yagnik said, "Both the suspects were staying in Majirpada for last few months and were doing odd jobs. Thought one has been arrested, the other accused is still at large. Both the persons are unmarried and were staying alone."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held