2 killed, 6 injured as truck rams Innova on Mathura Rd
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
The speeding truck reportedly rammed the vehicle and pushed the SUV for several metres, after which its front portion fell on the car, crushing it completely.
Premawati (58) and her daughter-in-law Saroj Bala (40) died on the spot. The family was returning home from a trip to Golden Temple in Amritsar.
According to police, the SUV took the Mathura Road from the Bhairon Road and was heading towards India Gate when the speeding truck hit it. "The traffic signal was on blinker mode. Both vehicles were speeding, could not judge the distance and crashed into each other. The truck rammed the Innova and dragged it for around 100 metres," a senior police officer said.
He said the impact of the collision was such that the axle of the truck broke and the front portion separated from the trolley, which was filled with stones, and fell on the SUV, crushing it.
The driver of the dumper abandoned the vehicle and fled. He was not injured. Passersby made a PCR call and tried to rescue those trapped in the crushed SUV.
Fire tenders were called to the spot to rescue the victims as passersby could not pull them out. "The victims were pulled out an hour after the Innova was cut open using gas cutters. They were rushed to the hospital, but two of them were declared dead on arrival. The others suffered injuries on their limbs," police said.
Police have registered a case of rash and negligent driving causing death against the truck driver.
In a separate incident, a security guard posted in the BRT corridor was crushed to death by an unidentified vehicle on Monday morning.
The incident was reported from Southeast Delhi's Lajpat Nagar area. The deceased has been identified as Arvind Kumar. Police have registered a case and are on the lookout for the accused.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held