2 killed in Ambala distillery fire
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Two persons were charred to death and six sustained severe burns in a fire that broke out in a distillery at Ambala on Wednesday. NV Distilleries, located at Badholi village, around 30 km from Ambala, belongs to Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil's son Shailesh Patil and daughter-in-law Archana Patil.
According to preliminary investigations conducted by the fire department in Ambala, a short-circuit led to a blast in a boiler around 12.30 pm and around 6 lakh litres of spirit, stored in four huge tanks, caught fire, engulfing the factory premises. The Army has been called to douse the flames. The fire in two out of the four tanks was still raging till the filing of this report. Initial reports suggest losses could run into several crores of rupees.
The plant is located on the Kalpi-Naraingarh road, near Naraingarh in Ambala district. Soon after the fire was reported, fire tenders were rushed to the spot from Ambala, Panchkula, Yamunanagar, Naraingarh and Shahbad Narkanda.
Ambala Deputy Commissioner S P Srow confirmed the death of two persons. Both bodies were beyond recognition, he said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow