2 students among 7 held for SP leaderís murder
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
Barnwal, state vice-president of SP Vyapar Sabha, and Vijay were shot outside their house in Saidpur by unidentified bike-borne assailants when they were returning home from their jewellery shop. The assailants also robbed the brothers of a bag filled with jewellery and money. Both died while being taken to Varanasi for treatment.
Police on Sunday arrested seven persons identified as Nanhe alias Aman Pratap Singh, Jitendra Jaiswal alias Baba, Mohit Verma, Pradeep Seth, all residents of Saidpur, Kittu alias Roshan Gutka, Sunny Singh alias Rohit and Ashutosh Tripathi, all residents of Varanasi.
Additional DG (Law and Order) Arun Kumar said the police had recovered the money and jewellery which was robbed. He said the police also recovered three motorbikes, six pistols and 15 mobile phones from them.
Kumar said they were operating in a gang and had been involved in several other crimes in eastern UP. He said Nanhe was a student of BTech at a Meerut-based engineering college while Sunny was a student of BTech at Rajiv Gandhi Technical College in Bhopal. He said Nanhe had also killed a local leader Rinku Singh Yadav in Saadat police station area on December 1 and another jeweller Bachche Lal in Karanda police station area on October 29.
Kumar said Pradeep Seth had planned the murder of Barnwal brothers and hired the gang for the robbery and murder.
He said the process of opening historysheets of young criminals, which had been halted because of an Allahabad High Court order, will be restarted as per the guidelines laid down by the high court so that the police could keep an eye on their activities.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held