2012: A year of promising newbies in Bollywood
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Established stars are constantly challenged by promising newcomers in Bollywood and this year was no different with a crop of talented actors making their debut.
Some of the hits like "Barfi", "Ishaqzaade", "Jannat 2", "Jism 2", "Vicky Donor" and "Gangs of Wasseypur" launched many new faces in Bollywood.
Names like Arjun Kapoor, Esha Gupta, Sunny Leone, Ileana D'Cruz and Ayushmann Khurrana, Yami Gautam and Huma Qureshi got a thumbs up from the audience alongwith critical acclaim for their performances.
Filmmaker-producer Karan Johar made his directorial comeback in "Student Of The Year" with three newcomers – Alia Bhatt, Siddharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan.
Alia, the daughter of Mahesh Bhatt and Soni Razdan. She came to audition for the film directly from her school. Amused by her dancing skills, Johar roped her in, making her the youngest newcomer of this year. Just 19, Alia already has two big films in her kitty.
Another newcomer from the film Varun, is son of veteran director David Dhawan.
Huma Qureshi may not have a toned body like other actresses but she wowed one and all with her acting in Anurag Kashyap's "Gangs Of Wasseypur1 & 2".
The actress was praised for her subtle performance as the wife of a gangster. She also gave another hit with "Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana".
Another revelation this year was Kingfisher model Diana Penty, who made her debut in Saif Ali Khan film "Cocktail". The film had a good run at the box office, while Diana's song 'Tum Hi Ho Bandhu' topped the charts and her coy-conservative 'Meera' act was also praised.
Ileana D'Cruz, a huge hit down South in the Telugu film industry, made her Bollywood debut with Anurag Basu's "Barfi", which was India's official entry for Oscars this year.
The actress was praised for her grace and poise in the film. She will next be seen opposite Shahid Kapoor in "Phata Poster Nikla Hero" After TV serials and commercials, the beautiful Yami Gautam finally made her Bollywood debut with John Abraham's maiden production venture romantic comedy "Vicky Donor". She was lauded for her intense screen presence and dialogue delivery.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet