22-yr-old shot at in Zakir Nagar
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Attempting to help a woman, who was being assaulted, nearly cost a 22-year-old man his life in Southeast Delhi's Zakir Nagar area on Monday.
Police said 22-year-old Shahe Alam, who lives in Okhla, saw a man hitting a woman at 12.45 am and asked him to stop. The man identified himself as Anis and allegedly took out a knife, asking Alam to leave.
"Alam thought to himself that it was a personal dispute and it was best if he left it to them," said a senior police officer.
Alam told police that he was then chased by several men, who fired at least a dozen rounds at him, with the intention of killing him. He hid under the staircase of an apartment in the area and the chasing men abandoned pursuit after they failed to find him. Alam then called police.
However, the pursuers had fled by the time a police team arrived. Police said they had recovered empty cartridges from the spot and were investigating the matter.
Police reached the spot and recovered empty cartridges from the area. A case of attempt to murder has been registered.
According to police, the incident was reported around 12.45 am on Monday, a little while after Shahe Alam had set out with his niece to buy her ice cream.
"After eating ice cream from near Rasheed Hotel in Zakir Nagar, Alam dropped his niece home and set out for his brother's shop. While on his way, he saw a woman being beaten up. He asked the man to stop," said the officer.
The attacker then brandished his knife and Alam decided to ignore the incident and left for his brother's shop.
While returning from his brother's shop, Anis and four other men, all armed with bats, rods and guns, cornered Alam 30 metres away from his house.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet