25-year-old comes under bus, dies
- Sreesanth, Jiju Janardhan lived in independently booked rooms: Cops
- India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Maxwell falls early in stiff run-chase
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
A 25-year-old BCA graduate died after she fell off a Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited (PMPML) bus and sustained severe injuries after coming under one of its rear wheels. The accident took place at the Deccan bus stand on Thursday morning.
The Deccan Gymkhana police identified the deceased girl as Saubhagya Pujari, who was originally from Bijapur in Karnataka and had been staying in Pune for the last two months for pursuing a short-term course in software testing at a private institute. Police have arrested the bus driver, Barqat Shaikh.
Police said Saubhagya had gone to the bus stand around 10.30 am to take a bus to her institute.
Speaking to Newsline, Manohar Joshi, senior inspector with the Deccan Gymkhana police, said: "Some of the eyewitnesses told us that as the bus she wanted to take entered the parking area, Saubhagya tried to get into it from the rear door. She was holding her cellphone in one hand. While climbing up the stairs she lost balance and fell down."
Joshi added: "As people who saw her falling down raised an alarm, the driver stopped the bus and started reversing it. Unfortunately, while the bus was moving back, her head came under the left rear wheel and she sustained very serious injuries. She died on the spot."
Saubhagya's uncle Vijaykumar Pujari said: "She had been here for the last two months and her course in software testing was scheduled to get over on March 21. After she came here, she stayed at a relative's house for sometime and later moved into a women's hostel near Balgandharva Hall."
Police said Saubhagya had completed her degree in Bachelor of Computer Application and is survived by her parents and three brothers. The body was handed over to her family in the evening after postmortem.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations