Premium
This is an archive article published on May 12, 2009

26/11 trial: Court denies newspaper to Kasab

Another witness in Mumbai terror attack case identified prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab in a special court.

A special court rejected the plea of Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab,the lone captured terrorist in the Mumbai terror attack case,for providing newspapers to him in jail.

“That is not possible…. Yeh ham nahin de sakte hain (we cannot give you this)”,the judge M L Tahaliyani told Kasab. Kasab had urged for Urdu newspapers,a bottle of perfume and a walk outside his cell in a verandah. The court had earlier said his request cannot be granted but he still pleaded for newspapers.

The suspected LeT operative had even urged his lawyer Abbas Kazmi to give him money to buy newspapers in jail. Kazmi had refused to give money to him,saying it would not be correct to do so as he has been appointed by the state to defend him.

According to the jail manual,a prisoner has to buy newspapers from his own money.

Another eye-witness testifies in court

Earlier,another witness in Mumbai terror attack case identified prime accused Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab in a special court and said he (Ajmal) had fired at him (the witness) and Assistant Police Inspector Tukaram Omble at Girgaum Chowpatty on November 26 last year.

While Omble fell to bullets fired from AK-47 rifle by Kasab,I sustained a bullet injury in the waist,the witness API Sanjay Govilkar said in the court.

Govilkar is the second witness who has identified Kasab in the court. On Monday,police sub-inspector Bhaskar Kadam had identified Kasab.

Story continues below this ad

Govilkar told special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam that he and Omble had grappled Kasab when the latter got down from a Skoda car,stopped by the police at Girgaum Chowpatty during nakabandi.

“When we tried to capture Kasab,he fired at us,seriously injuring Omble. A bullet also hit me in the waist,” the witness said.

Govilkar also identified the trousers wore by Kasab on that day and the AK-47 rifle used by him to fire at police. “This is the same AK-47 rifle which was held by Kasab on that day,” witness told judge M L Tahaliyani.

Govilkar also gave a graphic description of how Kasab was captured alive.

Story continues below this ad

The witness said while some policemen were engaged in an exchange of fire with terrorist Abu Ismail (who was driving Skoda car),he along with Omble proceeded to the left hand side of the car.

At that time,Kasab,who was holding the AK-47 rifle,got down the car and started firing at us,the witness said,adding Omble pounced on him but Kasab continued to fire.

Finally,Kasab was overpowered and disarmed,he said. Govilkar further said he and Omble were taken to Harkishandas hospital,where he was admitted for a few days.

The witness informed the court that he was discharged from the hospital on November 29 and he was on leave till December 16.

Story continues below this ad

In the meantime his statement was recorded on December 3 and he had also identified Kasab during the identification parade conducted by police on December 27 at Arthur Road jail,Govilkar said.

During cross examination by defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi,he denied that AK-47 rifle carried by Kasab was planted on him by police. Govilkar also refuted allegation that he had not identified Kasab during police parade.

Stay updated with the latest - Click here to follow us on Instagram

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Loading Taboola...
Advertisement