29 Indians sentenced to death across world in 5 yrs
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A total of 29 Indians have been sentenced to death for various criminal offences during the past five years in various countries, the External Affairs Ministry has said in response to an RTI query.
In reply to an RTI query by activist Om Prakash Sharma, the MEA report said 21 Indians had been awarded death sentence in the UAE, six in Kuwait and one each in Indonesia and Iran.
Twenty-seven of those sentenced to death have been convicted of murder along with other offences like abduction, burning, hiding body, theft, adultery and intoxication. The remaining two were awarded capital punishment for offences punishable under the Narcotics Act and Drugs Act.
In all, 10,647 Indians had been convicted in various countries of criminal offences and imprisoned, including the 29 death penalties.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held