3 students held for Bihar rape-murder
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
When she left her Mahavar village under Dawoodnagar for district town Aurangabad to study engineering at a private college last year, her teacher father felt proud. His 21-year-old daughter was leaving a small village to live alone and pursue her dream of becoming an engineer.
Barely few months later, on July 15 last year, her father got a call from the police. He was told that his daughter was found dead at her rented accomodation. Her body was lying on the bed. A chair was also on the bed, suggesting she committed suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling fan.
Although no suicide note was found, the Aurangabad Town police station concluded it was a "clear case of suicide". The distraught father kept insisting it was murder but the matter was closed just as "UD (unnatural death) case".
A month later, when Daljit Singh joined as new Superintendent of Police of Aurangabad, the father pursued the case with him. Singh saw merit in his arguments and visited the spot. The police team found a piece of rope tied to the bolt of the back gate and also a torn piece of cloth on one of the iron bars of the balcony fence.
"We started working on these clues and suspected that the rope was used to bolt the rear gate as well to confuse the police," SP Singh said.
The SP, who pulled up the case investigation officer for shoddy investigation, first arrested the girl's collegemate Hemant Kumar after neighbours confirmed that he used to visit the girl.
Hemant spilled the beans, saying he and two more students of the same college had raped and killed the girl, the police said. He identified the two others as Ravi Kumar and Vinay Kumar, a Dharamshala resident. Ravi and Vinay were arrested on Thursday.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow