3 students held for Bihar rape-murder
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
When she left her Mahavar village under Dawoodnagar for district town Aurangabad to study engineering at a private college last year, her teacher father felt proud. His 21-year-old daughter was leaving a small village to live alone and pursue her dream of becoming an engineer.
Barely few months later, on July 15 last year, her father got a call from the police. He was told that his daughter was found dead at her rented accomodation. Her body was lying on the bed. A chair was also on the bed, suggesting she committed suicide by hanging herself from the ceiling fan.
Although no suicide note was found, the Aurangabad Town police station concluded it was a "clear case of suicide". The distraught father kept insisting it was murder but the matter was closed just as "UD (unnatural death) case".
A month later, when Daljit Singh joined as new Superintendent of Police of Aurangabad, the father pursued the case with him. Singh saw merit in his arguments and visited the spot. The police team found a piece of rope tied to the bolt of the back gate and also a torn piece of cloth on one of the iron bars of the balcony fence.
"We started working on these clues and suspected that the rope was used to bolt the rear gate as well to confuse the police," SP Singh said.
The SP, who pulled up the case investigation officer for shoddy investigation, first arrested the girl's collegemate Hemant Kumar after neighbours confirmed that he used to visit the girl.
Hemant spilled the beans, saying he and two more students of the same college had raped and killed the girl, the police said. He identified the two others as Ravi Kumar and Vinay Kumar, a Dharamshala resident. Ravi and Vinay were arrested on Thursday.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held