5 members of Topi gang arrested
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Police on Friday nabbed five members of Topi gang who were involved in more than 24 robberies and a murder case as well. They used to pose themselves as autorickshaw drivers and later used to rob the passengers after threatening them with a knife.
In one case, they had an argument with one Pappu over payment of charges of autorickshaw and later he was murdered after mixing poison in his drink, said police officials. The kingpin was Karan alias Topi while Sandeep Kumar, Jagdish Lal, Mohinder Singh and Sandeep Singh were the other members.
They said the accused used to be under influence of drugs while committing crime and they always robbed the commuters.
ACP Swapan Sharma said cases were registered against them in Salem Tabri, Kotwali and a few other police stations.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet