53-yr-old cop killed in ‘celebratory’ firing
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
During a wedding ceremony, some people began firing bullets in the air in celebration. One of them hit ASI Dhama's chest and killed him. A man was arrested for firing the bullet
A 53-year-old assistant sub-inspector (ASI) was killed in an alleged incident of celebratory firing in Anand Vihar, East Delhi, on Friday night. ASI Omvir Singh Dhama, a native of Ghaziabad, was at the marriage ceremony of a friend's son at CBT ground when the incident took place. He was posted with the Security Wing of Delhi Police.
Police have arrested Pankaj Tomar, a resident of Durgapuri, who was testing a pistol when the bullet hit the ASI's shoulder. Police are yet to identify the owner of the pistol.
"Around 10.15 pm, Dhama reached the tent house opposite Park Plaza Hotel in Anand Vihar. Suddenly, some of the baraatis began firing in the air as part of the celebrations," a senior police officer said.
One of the bullets got stuck in the chamber. Pankaj began fiddling with the pistol, trying to remove the bullet.
"While trying to remove the bullet, he fired a round. It hit Dhama on the chest and killed him," the officer said.
Dhama was rushed to Hedgewar hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival.
Prima facie, police have registered a case of murder under Section 302 of the IPC.
Dhama's family members alleged that he was murdered and claimed that video footage of the wedding had been tampered with. They also protested at the Subzi Mandi mortuary, where they claimed that the doctors had not conducted an X-ray examination before the post-mortem.
Police have a copy of video footage of the wedding.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held