6 killed in cracker unit blast
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Six persons, including two minors, were killed and three others were critically injured in an explosion in a firecracker manufacturing unit in Kaanth area of Shahjahanpur district today.
Shahjahanpur Additional Superintendent of Police (ASP) Shiv Narain Bhardwaj said that according to eyewitnesses, crackers caught fire as unit owner Intezar Ali (57) was smoking while packing the crackers.
Since there was a huge stock of crackers and explosive materials at the manufacturing unit, the fire led to a powerful explosion, blowing up the walls and ceiling of the unit. A footwear and a tailoring shop were also blown up in the explosion.
The ASP said that Ali, tailor Ibne Ali (55), his employee Zahur Ahmed (32), a customer Geeta Devi (35) and her daughters Aruna (10) and Anjali (8) were killed in the incident.
The owner of footwear shop Ateeq (35) and two customers Tauheed (22) and Basant Yadav (28) suffered critical injuries, Bhardwaj added.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow