7 killed, 19 injured in Haryana road mishap
- BCCI says it can't control bookies, promises to 'fix' guilty players
- Counter-terrorism to top Indo-US Security dialogue agenda: Sushilkumar Shinde
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Pune Warriors bat, Ashok Dinda back
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives today, PM to seek early revival of border talks
- Telangana very much part of UPA national agenda: P C Chacko
At least seven people were killed while nearly 19, including six schoolchildren, sustained severe injuries after a jeep, carrying pilgrims, collided head-on with a school bus on the national highway connecting the districts of Jind and Bhiwani on Monday.
The incident took place at about 7.30 am in the morning near Igraha village in Jind district. Police said the Jeep was carrying a dozen pilgrims from Haryana's Mahendergarh, Bhiwani districts and Rajasthan, while the children are students of SD School at Ghimana village in Jind district.
According to the police, among the dead include Saroj, Santro, Sandeep and Jatil - residents of Ninda village in Bhiwani district; Bimla and Prabhati, residents of Rajasthan and Manju, a resident of Mahendergarh.
"The accident took place, when the overloaded Jeep collided head-on with the school bus carrying over a dozen school children. We are yet to find out how the accident took place, but it appears that one of the drivers lost control and might have tried to overtake another vehicle causing the collision," one of the investigating police officers said.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet