8-year-old boy, youth die in truck accidents
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
An eight-year-old boy was killed in the Chandni Chowk area on Thursday when a truck crashed into the cycle-rickshaw he was travelling in.
The boy was returning with his mother from a wedding.
Police said the incident was reported around 1.30 am near Lal Diwar in Chandni Chowk. Zahid, a resident of Lal Kuan, was on the way home with his mother on a rickshaw. As they reached Lal Diwar, a truck hit the rickshaw from behind. The truck driver was reversing the vehicle and he didn't notice the rickshaw, police said.
"The rickshaw overturned. Zahid was taken to a hospital. Doctors declared him dead on arrival," an officer said. In the meantime, residents caught truck driver Kalam Ansari and his helper Balbir Singh. They thrashed the two before handing them over to police, the officer said.
Following the accident, the residents broke windshields of several trucks parked in the area.
In a separate accident, a 20-year-old student of IP University was crushed to death by a speeding Haryana Roadways bus in North Delhi's Jahangirpuri area on Thursday morning.
Police said Aakash Chauhan, a resident of Yamuna Vihar, was on the way to college on his motorcycle when the accident took place around 9.30 am in Mukundpur Chowk. Chauhan was pursuing an Information Technology (IT) course from a college in the Hamidpur area.
"The bus hit the motorcycle from behind. Chauhan fell from the motorcycle and came under the wheels of the bus. He died on the spot," a police officer said.
The officer said the driver abandoned the bus and fled.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow