Delhi gangrape: Several in Punjab, Haryana cancel New Year plans
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Following nationwide grief and anger over the death of Delhi gang-rape victim, many people in Punjab and Haryana including both the state governments have decided to cancel or tone down their party plans for New Year.
Several prime hotels in the region and governments of both Punjab and Haryana have cancelled their programmes to be held to mark New Year celebrations, officials said here.
While Haryana government cancelled its lunch on the eve of New Year, several hotels and clubs in the region, including Press club of Chandigarh, too decided not to host any party.
Several business houses here have also decided to cancel events on New Year's eve, officials said.
Meanwhile, people across Chandigarh observed prayers for the victim. Various political outfits, cutting across party-lines, also joined in the mourning and demanded that the guilty be given the severest of the punishments.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet