Haryana told to move Mirchpur accused to Delhi
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A Rohini court has directed the Haryana government to move 100 undertrials of Hisar Jail to a prison in the Capital following the transfer of the case related to the alleged attack on Dalits by members of the upper caste community in Mirchpur Village in Hisar last April.
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau asked Jail Superintendent, Hisar, to ensure that the accused were transferred to Delhi if they were not facing criminal proceedings in any other case.
In December, the Supreme Court had directed that the case, relating to the killing of a 70-year-old Dalit man and his physically challenged daughter allegedly by a mob of 102 people, was transferred to a special court in the Capital designated under the SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act to ensure a free and fair trial.
The Supreme Court had also said that the special court at Rohini will be free to re-examine witnesses already examined by the Additional Sessions Judge in Hisar. The apex court passed the order after examining the affidavits filed by two court-appointed advocates, who had submitted that the witnesses were under constant threat due to the hostile atmosphere created by the accused.
The Rohini court had then asked the Haryana government to send a special public prosecutor to follow the case, to which it informed the court in a communication that it had requested the NCT government to appoint the prosecutor. The case will come up for hearing on January 14.
On April 21 last year, a Dalit man and his daughter were burnt alive in an incident of violence against the Dalit community allegedly by members of the upper caste, forcing about 150 Dalit families to flee Mirchpur Village. Of the 102 people facing trial in the case, one has got bail and another is a juvenile.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow