Mirwaiz makes first China contact
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Making his first contact with a senior Chinese functionary on his trips abroad, Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq has met Director Foreign Affairs Ying Gang and discussed a possible Chinese role in resolving the Kashmir issue.
The Mirwaiz met Gang in Geneva where he had gone to attend the 13th session of the UN Human Rights Council. He will be visiting China at the invitation of the NGO Han Foundation.
The Mirwaiz said Gang expressed support for the settlement of Kashmir "as per the wishes and aspirations of Kashmiris".
"Our country supports resumption of composite dialogue between India and Pakistan. China wants the two countries to take steps towards the resolution of Kashmir," the Mirwaiz quoted Gang as saying.
"I urged him (Gang) to start academic research projects on Kashmir in Chinese universities to create awareness about this long-running conflict," the Mirwaiz said.
The Mirwaiz, who returned to Delhi today, will be attending the Pakistan Day function being hosted by High Commissioner Shahid Malik on Tuesday. Hurriyat hardliner Syed Ali Shah Geelani too will be present.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations