Use sunscreen when in front of computer screen
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
If you think sun screen lotions are only good at blocking the harmful effects of sun, think again. Dermatologists in the city have now concluded that if you are working for long hours in front of the computer screen, you must apply sun screen lotion generously half an hour before you start working in front of your computer screen.
There has been a noticeable increase in the number of cases of pigmentation among those whose work profile requires them to be in front of the computer screen for prolonged hours.
Dr Swami Das Mehta, Government Multi Specialty Hospital, Sector 16, who is seeing 40-50 patients everyday in his OPD suffering from pigmentation caused due to their job profile said, "Earlier over-exposure to sunlight was known to cause pigmentation. However, recently this phenomenon has emerged and youngsters, mainly those who work on computers for over 7-8 hours, are facing pigmentation disorders. It is due to the radiations generated from computer screens, even though there are certain kinds of screens which have less radiations compared to others, prolonged exposure to computer screens are known to cause pigmentation. Apart from seeing a dermatologist, they should use sun protection before they start working on computers. A healthy diet and exercises are also a must to keep skin healthy."
Dr Vikas Sharma, chief consultant and dermato-laser surgeon, National Skin Hospital, Panchkula, said, "Out of the 200 patients everyday, about 30-40 have pigmentation problems. Though there are other causes apart from using computers for long duration, such as pre-disposed genetic factors in those who suffer from it. Other factors which cause pigmentation is an unhealthy lifestyle such as eating meals at odd hours, stress and lack of exercise."
"Sun block creams may not help in every case as it depends on the skin type. In certain cases, sun block may not be of any help but there are certain barrier creams which are have been tested and are safe to use," he added.
- Paddy shortfall blamed for mystery death of procurement officer
- 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chiefís son-in-law: cops
- Net widens, police watching three more players, new set of bookies
- Suspected Islamists behead soldier on London street
- Malegaon 2006 case: NIA names four right wing terror suspects
- BJP invokes 'sarcasm, ridicule' against PM