Absurdity at best
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Absurdity at best
Asaram Bapu's suggestion that the Delhi gangrape victim was also to blame for her trauma and that she could have called her attackers "brothers" is outrageous ('Taali do haath se bajti hai: Asaram on gangrape', IE, January 8). One can neither blame an innocent victim nor expect her attackers to set her free if she calls them "brother" and falls at their feet. Religious preachers should refrain from making irrational comments on sensitive issues.
— M.C. Joshi, Lucknow
THE comments made by Asaram Bapu show that
we still have a long way to go in changing people's mindset on women's rights. It also reveals that if influential people change first, the general public may follow suit.
— Ishmit Oberoi
THIS refers to 'Govt plans a home, job, college seat for victim kin', (IE, January 8). I support the government's decision to help the kin of the victim. But this is not the only case of rape in our country. Will the government do the same for the kin of each victim or is this an attempt to save face in the wake of the public outcry? The true tribute to the Delhi victim will be a strong law against sexual harassment of women.
— R. Ravikumar
NOW that the wheels of justice have begun to move in the Delhi gangrape case, the courts should be allowed to function ('Court keeps media out of rape trial', IE, January 8). No court can deliver justice if it is besieged by inquisitive crowds. Courts cannot, and should not, be intimidated by watchers. The metropolitan judge has done well to order in-camera proceedings by invoking provisions of the Criminal Procedure Code. The main trial, which will begin when the case is deputed to the Sessions Court, will also be held in-camera and the police should ensure failproof security for the lawyers and judges involved in the case. It is also vital to protect the accused till the court passes its verdict.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’