Accused says tortured in remand, police deny charges
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
An accused arrested for smuggling poppy husk on Thursday accused cops of torturing him and throwing acid on his private parts, an allegation denied by the police.
Jatinder Singh, in his 30s, was arrested on February 15 and was sent to jail on february 17. He alleged that during his police remand, he was tortured by the police and even acid was thrown on his private parts. He was brought to the Civil Hospital on Thursday but was sent back after medication.
However, Police Commissioner Ishwar Singh, when contacted, denied the charges. "The person in question was fit and fine on February 16 and on 17 as well before sending him to jail. His medical reports are with us. We have no idea about the injuries, if any. In police custody, he was perfectly fine and he is now levelling false allegations," he said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held