Across Chandigarh, neglected fountains gather moss
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
After having spent crores of rupees on the installation of fountains in different parts of the city, the authorities seem to be paying scant regard to their maintenance.
A number of fountains around the city are not working properly or have completely stopped working.
While in some instances fountain parts have been stolen, others face a problem in their water supply systems.
The fountain near the Hallomajra-Industrial Area roundabout has not been working for nearly 20 days.
The fountain has been out of service, with weeds growing all around and moss deposited on its surface.
The fountain at Zakir Rose Garden, Sector 16 has been dysfunctional for the past week. The fountain motor has reportedly been stolen.
This fountain has been an attraction for most visitors to the Rose Garden.
A family that had come to see the multicoloured fountain were disappointed.
The family members said that they had been coming to the place for the past few days, but on Sunday were told that the fountain was not working.
Also, the main attraction and the meeting point of people in the 17 Sector plaza is in a bad shape. The light fountain has only 3 of its 6 clusters working. The shopkeepers in the area said the fountain had not been functioning for the last two months.
Similar complaints have been received from other parts of the city as well.
A large number of fountains have been installed by the UT Administration as well as the Municipal Corporation.
Their maintenance, however, is neglected.
The issue has been raised more than once in the meetings of the General House of the Municipal Corporation.
An official of the civic body said that wherever new fountains are installed, a maintenance contract for five years with the company that builds it will be signed.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held