Actress molestation row: Imphal on boil, DD cameraman dies in police firing
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Protests in Manipur against the assault on a Manipuri film actress took an ugly turn on Sunday when a Doordarshan cameraperson was killed in police firing in Imphal.
Thirty-two-year-old Thangjam Buijamani, or Nanao as he was called by friends and colleagues, was covering the protest when he was shot in the chest during a protest demonstration in Thangmeiband in the heart of the state capital.
The last footage recorded by Buijamani was screened later at the city Press Club, where journalists had gathered to decide on a course of action on the firing. It showed a constable-level policeman aiming directly at Buijamani with his pistol when he fired the shot. A senior-level police official can be seen at the spot.
Buijamani is survived by his wife and two children.
As journalists threatened a protest, Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh announced that all police personnel present at the spot have been suspended.
Imphal has been seeing protests since last week after an armed cadre member of the NSCN (IM), Livingstone Anal, reportedly went on a rampage, molesting and assaulting the actress Momoko at a public event.
The largely Meitei (Hindu Manipuri) demonstrators have now started attacking vehicles headed to tribal districts, mostly carrying Christians.
The United Naga Council in Manipur meanwhile has alleged that Nagas in Imphal are being targeted.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow