Advani pays tribute to Dev Anand, recalls Emergency days
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Senior BJP leader L K Advani today showered praise on actor Dev Anand and his brothers for their role in the anti-Emergency struggle, saying they displayed tremendous courage in supporting the movement for restoration of democracy.
"I would say that in 1975, such a time came when it seemed that democracy would not survive in the country. At the time when there was a crisis in Indian politics, we launched a struggle under the leadership of Jayprakash Narayan. Because of this struggle democracy was established in the country," Advani said.
"If any film personality lent support during that struggle, it was Dev Anand," Advani said at a function organised to celebrate the 89 th birth anniversary of the ctor. Dev Anand's son Suneil Anand was also present on the dias.
He said that the Anand brothers had displayed tremendous courage during that period.
"Not just Dev Anand, or his son Suneil Anand, but all the three brothers - Chetan Anand, Vijay Anand and Dev Anand, have contributed to entertain people," Advani said.
Advani also reminisced that former prime minister Atal Behari Vajpayee was very fond of watching movies. He narrated an incident where in the 50s he and Vajpayee, after facing an electoral defeat, straightaway went to watch a movie.
Advani said that the film turned out to be 'Phir Subah Hogi'. Advani said that after Vajpayee became PM, he told party workers that the title of the movie had turned out to be prophetic and there was finally dawn.
A statement released on the occasion also said that Dev Anand's son Suneil Anand would make a new English movie titled 'Vagator Mixer' based on the theme of a famous beach in Goa.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’