After 15 years, civic body demolishes illegal godown
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Building belonged to close associate of Independent councillor Veeran Bedi
Abiding by the orders of Punjab and Haryana High Court, Ludhiana municipal corporation finally demolished the illegal three storey 'highly controversial' building near I-block, BRS Nagar on Wednesday.
Jaspal Singh, in whose name the land was registered is said to be a close associate and supporter of Veeran Bedi, the independent councillor of BRS Nagar area.
Veeran Bedi's husband, Harpreet Singh Bedi, was the personal assistant to former cabinet minister Hira Singh Gabaria and after Veeran Bedi was denied ticket from Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) to fight the MC elections this year, she decided to contest as an independent. Since then, he has not joined back SAD.
After the High Court issued the orders to deputy commissioner Rahul Tewari to take action against the illegal godown constructed by Jaspal Singh on MC's property, Tewari on November 17 issued orders to municipal corporation to get the building removed and asked MC commissioner 'to take the possession of the land.'
Surinder Bindra, assistant town planner, who headed the demolition, said, "We have demolished the three storey building which also had a basement. In our documents, the building was in name of Jaspal Singh not Veeran Bedi." Justice after 15 years
Col Jagdish Singh Brar, president, NGO Mahasabha, talking to The Indian Express, alleged, "From past 15 years MC and politicians were hand in glove. SAD MLA and former cabinet minister had stopped MC from demolishing the building. Veeran Bedi and Jaspal Singh were earning lakhs giving the building on rent and MC officials were also getting their share in it. MC went there to demolish building eight times but their coffers were filled with money everytime. After 15 years, justice has prevailed not on the mercy of MC but because of High Court orders. At last people of Ludhiana have got their land back from hands of corrupt politicians and MC officials."
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet