Pune weather: After a weeklong warm spell, city feels the chill at 10.5 °Celsius
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Pune weather: Even as the western disturbance is affecting weather in northern India bringing in precipitation and fog in some parts and making snowfall likely in some areas in the next two days, central India including Maharashtra is also experiencing a dip in minimum temperatures after almost a weeklong 'warm spell' in winter. The IMD, however, attributed the dip to local conditions.
On Thursday, the Met department recorded 10.5° Celsius in Pune city. For the past 10 days the minimum temperatures had been hovering between 15-16° Celsius in the city.
Deputy Director General, India Meteorological Department (IMD), Pune, Medha Khole, said local sky conditions had led to the dip. A rise in humidity was also marked.
She said the minimum temperatures are likely to remain around 10° Celsius for the next two days and would not dip further as the strong western disturbance is preventing the cold northerlies from entering central India and adjoining states. Besides, there is a moisture incursion forecast from the Bay of Bengal, which means the minimum temperature is likely to rise after a couple of days.
Humidity has a moderating effect and serves to retain the heat content.
She said the western disturbance has covered Jammu and Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi. She said these conditions will continue for the next two to three days. The forecast states that heavy rain/snow would occur at a few places over Jammu and Kashmir and at one or two places in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand in the next two days.
The western disturbance is an upper air cyclonic circulation extending to mid-troposphere levels and is now centered on north Pakistan and the neighbourhood and the system is expected to move east-north-eastwards, says the weather summary.
Minimum temperatures dipped 2-3 degrees lower than the normal across the country especially in Punjab, Gujarat, Madhya Maharashtra and peninsular India. The lowest minimum of 6° Celsius has been recorded in Amritsar.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations