After CBI clean chit, accused in CMO Arya’s murder gets bail
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Eighteen months after he was charge-sheeted by Lucknow police in the murder of CMO Dr Vinod Kumar Arya and sent to jail, Vijay Dubey was released on Wednesday evening. A local court gave him bail after a clean chit from the CBI, which is now investigating the case on the order of the Allahabad High Court.
"I had almost lost hope. I had even started to feel insecure after the death of Dr Sachan in June last year," Dubey said after his release.
The CBI questioned him several times and "I told them whatever I knew,'' said Dubey. A polygraph test was also conducted on him with his consent in February, 2012. The other three accused — Anand Prakash Tiwari, Vinod Sharma and RK Verma — in the case refused to undergo the polygraph test.
The agency is also investigating the murder of Arya's successor CMO Dr B P Singh, the death of Dr Sachan in Lucknow jail and the NRHM scam. Like Dr Arya, Dr Singh was shot by motorcyclists near his Gomti Nagar home on April 2 morning last year.
Dr Arya was shot on October 27, 2010 near his Vikas Nagar residence. On December 13, 2010 evening, Dubey was arrested from an ashram in Vikas Nagar where he worked as a caretaker.
The police allegedly beat him up and questioned him about the whereabouts of Sudhakar Pandey, who had escaped from police custody earlier and who they believed carried out Dr Arya's murder. The police also allegedly accused Dubey of helping Pandey escape.
Late night, Dubey was reportedly taken to Reserve Police Lines where he was asked to admit to his involvement in Dr Arya's murder and make a statement implicating jailed gangster Abhay Singh, who is now SP MLA from Faizabad.
The next day, Dubey was taken to Vikas Nagar police station where he met his friend Ajay Kumar Mishra in the lock-up. Ajay is learnt to have told him that he was detained five days ago. Later, the court sent both to judicial custody. The police also claimed to have found a countrymade firearm on Dubey.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’