After Narendra Modi taunt, Kapil Sibal sends him 2 Aakash tablets
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
Stung by Narendra Modi's remarks on delay in delivery of Aakash tablets, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has asked the Gujarat chief minister to keep education away from politics and sent him a couple of these low-cost devices.
"... Your statement has disappointed me. Education is a collaborative venture beyond the pale of politics and we need to work together in the best interest of the children of the country," Sibal said in his letter to Modi sent along with the
devices on September 26.
"We have sent the devices to the chief minister. He lives in netherworld, I have shown him on land that Aakash is in your hand," he said.
Modi had said that the much-hyped Aakash tablets have not come down to earth yet.
"Kash (If only) this Aakash tablet could land on earth, then the lie (promise of free laptops by state Congress) they (Congress) are spreading now would hold some weight," Modi had said.
Noting that the advanced version of the device Aakash 2 has been developed by IIT Bombay with more applications, Sibal in his letter asked Modi for his feedback hpoing "you would be satisfied with the hard work that has been put in by our institutions and our people".
He said "though it (Aakash) has taken time, I am of the firm opinion that Aakash will showcase the best in frugal innovation that our country can proudly pioneer".
Sibal said the Cabinet would soon be approached on seeking of approval for manufacture of five million Aakash tablets.
He said that on education day, they would provide 20,000 children with Aakash at Vigyan Bhawan here.
"We dreamt and we realised it. Why because we dont have an alternative."
He said Aakash-2 tablets will be priced at Rs 2,276. It will have 1 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM and four hours of memory back up.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'