AIADMK student leader, 9-year-old son hacked to death
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Ruling AIADMK's district student wing secretary and two others, including his son, were hacked to death by a heavily armed gang near here, police said today.
45-year-old M G Kathiresan along with his two children was returning here from his native village late last night when the gang waylaid his car and attacked them with sharp edged weapons at Nedungulam in the district.
Kathiresan, his 9-year son and the driver were killed in the attack while his seriously injured daughter (7) had been admitted to the Government Rajaji Hospital in Madurai, police said.
Kathiresan had enmity with some local people during the local body elections last year, police said adding the motive behind the murder was under investigation.
District Superintendent of Police Pannerselvam, who visited the murder spot around midnight yesterday, said all checkposts in the region had been alerted and a speacial team formed to nab the assailants.
In Chennai, Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa condoled the death of three and said stern action as per law would be taken against the perpetrators of the crime.
Stating that Kathiresan was murdered because of previous enmity, she announced Rs two lakh relief to his family and Rs one lakh to the kin of the driver from the party funds.
In a statement, she also said the AIADMK would bear the medical expenses of Kathiresan's daughter.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow