AIFF’s First Regional Academy kicks off
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
The first AIFF Regional Academy in collaboration with FIFA kicked-off at the Father Agnel School premises in Navi Mumbai on Tuesday (May 1). Twenty U-15 boys including two goalkeepers will be a part of the Residential Academy at the School premises.
Scott O'Donell, Technical Director, AIFF Regional and Elite Academies conducted the first training session which was more of "fun than intensive training." "It's imperative that the boys settle down. Hence, we will stress on fun sessions for the first few days. Form thereon, we move into intense training," Scott, stressed. Colm Toal, Head Coach Youth Development and National Team Coach Savio Medeira were also part of the first training session.
"The Academies would provide the National Coach more options when he sits down to choose the Indian squad in the future," Toal maintained.
"This was long due," Savio commented. "All India Football Federation's effort is laudable indeed."
AIFF General Secretary Kushal Das said: "The future of Indian football lies in the youth. This is AIFF's first Regional Academy and we stay committed to open more Regional Academies."
"The entire focus stays on creating World Class Players for the future," he added. Father Saturnino Almeida, Managing Director of Father Agnel Schools who has been running from pillar to post to get everything in perfect shape, said "the Academy is all about the future." "This is a fantastic opportunity where two social institutions of India come together to serve the future of the country in Academies and Football," he explained. Former India International Aqeel Ansari stays the Assistant Coach at the Academy while Ms. Sonika Sudan has been appointed as the Physiotherapist. Shailesh Karkera will be the Academy Manager.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet