Akhilesh meets rape victimís family, Ballia to get PHC
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav Friday met the family of the 23-year-old Delhi gangrape victim and promised them all possible help. He stayed with the family for 30 minutes, and handed over a cheque of Rs 20 lakh to the parents.
Speaking to reporters, Yadav said the family's loss was immense. "This is a gruesome incident... there has not been any such case in the world," he said.
The CM also announced that a primary health centre would be set up in the village, but ruled out naming it after the woman since there was no such provision under the law.
The village was spruced up for Yadav's visit ó a helipad was built in three days, where the CM's helicopter landed. The dirt road outside the victim's house was paved overnight.
The father of the victim said, "He (Yadav) sat outside our house, and interacted with me, my sons, my brothers and other elders. Then he went inside and met my wife. He promised us all help and said my daughter had become a symbol."
The father welcomed the announcements by the CM, though some other villagers were not sure whether the promises will be kept.
The victim had last visited the village five years ago, after her board examinations. "We planned to visit in June this year. Our daughter's job would have been finalised," her father said.
The family plans to return to Delhi on January 16.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held