Akhilesh Yadav govt shuns RTI on Lokayukta; renames Kanshiram univ
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
In a major decision, the Uttar Pradesh Cabinet today gave its nod to keep the office of Lokayukta out of the purview of RTI Act.
The Cabinet meeting presided over by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav decided to keep the Lokayukta out of the purview of the RTI Act, a senior official said.
The Cabinet also decided to implement the 'Kanya Vidyadhan Yojna', the official said, adding that approval was also give for the implementation of National Optical Fibre Programme in the state.
The National Optical Fibre Network (NOFN) aims to connect 2.5 lakh gram panchayats with broadband connectivity in the country.
The Cabinet also gave approval to rename Manyavar Kanshiram Arbi-Farsi University as Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti Arbi-Farsi University.
The previous BSP government had named the University after its founder Kanshi Ram.
On July 25, the Samajwadi government had changed the names of eight districts which had been renamed by the previous Mayawati regime.
While Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar would be known as Amethi, Rambai Nagar would be called Kanpur Dehat. The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar were changed to Sambhal, Shamli and Hapur respectively, the official said.
Similarly, Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and J P Nagar would now be known as Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha respectively.
Mayawati attacks Samajwadi govt for renaming varsity
Lucknow: Former UP Chief Minister and BSP president Mayawati today lashed out at Samjawadi government's decision to rename Manyavar Kanshiramji Urdu-Farsi University, saying it was a "politically vindictive act".
"This step (renaming the University) of the Samajwadi Party government is totally undignified, disgusting and a politically vindictive act," Mayawati said in a statement.
Instead of changing the name, the SP government should have opened a new university and given it a name of its choice, she said, adding that everyone is aware that the BSP regime had set up the varsity and renamed it after Kanshi Ramji as an acknowledgement of his contribution to the state.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow