All set for PU senate elections
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Candidates, for the Panjab University senate elections, on Saturday made last minute efforts to woo voters, ahead of polls scheduled for Sunday. Apart from seeking votes, many candidates promised to ferry eligible voters with a pick up and drop facility being arranged for the purpose.
Many candidates organised dinner meets as well, to address a select gathering. The university has so far not been able to keep a check on the expenditure of the candidates.
More than 5 lakh voters are eligible to vote on Sunday. Though a majority are in Punjab and Chandigarh, there a quite a few voters in Himachal Pradesh, Haryana and even Delhi. A total of 65 candidates are contesting for 15 posts in the PU senate's graduate category while about 15 are contesting for 4 seats in the teacher's category. In the graduate category, apart from the serving and retired teachers, bank employees and industrialists are also in the poll fray.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held