Allahabad University closed for 3 days amid apprehensions of violence
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Allahabad University was today closed down for three days amid apprehensions of violence after an FIR was lodged against student union leaders for allegedly assaulting staff of Vice-Chancellor's office.
The FIR was lodged yesterday at Colonelganj police station against University Students Union president Dinesh Singh Yadav, its vice-president and two others who had barged into the V-C office to complain against "irregularities" in admissions of research scholars and assaulted some staff members, varsity sources said.
The students on Saturday assaulted the staff members, who prevented them from entering the V-C's chamber, besides vandalising furnitures, they said.
Later in a meeting of senior University officials it was decided that the union Vice-President Shalu Yadav should be suspended and the remaining three be expelled, they said.
Proctor Mata Amber Tiwari suspended Shalu with immediate effect while a file recommending the expulsion of the remaining three has been sent to the V-C for assent, they said.
Meanwhile, additional forces are being deployed around the sprawling University campus following a request from the varsity authorities, police said.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’