Ami Bera sworn in as US lawmaker
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
A first generation American, Bera attended California's public schools from grammar school, to community college, through medical school, earning both his BS and MD from the University of California, Irvine.
"Investment in education is an investment in jobs," he said.
"Then certainly looking at developing broader partnership in Asia, in particular between the US and South Asia is going to be very important strategically and economically," he said.
Bera who has been made a member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, said he would be joining the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans.
"I think, there is a strong economic relationship there (between India and the US) and certainly for California," he said.
His particular emphasis was on the agricultural sector.
Bera said his November electoral win "hopefully serves as an inspiration to" the young Indian American community.
His father Babu Bhai Bera said it was hard for him to
"It is hard to believe," Babu Bhai Bera told PTI.
When in 2008, during a family Christmas party, Dr Bera announced his decision to run for the US House of Representatives, the entire Bera family came out in support, the father said, adding that he knew that this is not going to be easy.
"But it is the hard work, determination of him (Dr Ami Bera) and his team of volunteers made this happen," Babu Bhai Bera told PTI in an interview standing in the corridors of the historic Longworth House Office Building, where his son has been allotted an office in his capacity.
Babu Bhai Bera and his other family members including his son flew in from California to be part of this historic occasion. Bera's mother¿ who served as a school teacher for 35 years -- could not make because of sudden illness.
According to the elder Bera, their purpose was to give the best of the education to their children and that's what they did.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow