AMU students' union to confer life membership to Sonia Gandhi
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
The Aligarh Muslim University Students' Union will confer its honorary life membership on Congress president Sonia Gandhi.
Making the announcement today, president of the AMUSU Shahzad Alam said they would extend a ceremonial welcome to the Congress president during her visit to the university on February 16 to deliver the convocation address at the 60th Annual Convocation of the institution.
"We hope that Sonia will express her views on vital issues related to the aspirations of the Indian Muslim community, especially the youth," Alam said.
AMUSU has written a letter to her highlighting the various issues being faced by the Muslim community, he said.
The first person to be honoured by the AMUSU with its life membership was Mahatma Gandhi. He was conferred the membership in 1920 at the beginning of the Khilafat Movement, a spokesman of the university said.
The students of the institution had then responded to Gandhi's call for "non-cooperation" by going on an indefinite strike, he said.
Meanwhile, spokesman of the Kashmiri students at AMU Imtiyaz Rasool last night said they would not organise any protest during the Congress president's visit.
"We had participated in a protest march on the campus yesterday to highlight our demands for following certain humanitarian procedures related to Afzal Guru's hanging.
"We feel that his family should be allowed to follow all the necessary rituals which are normally permitted in such cases," he said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow