Animation Boost for Goopi, Bagha Magic
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
In order to achieve this, Ranade lent a dark look and feel to the characters and setting. The characters appear almost ragged puppet-like, as if stitched up using cloth. "Actual cloth and material textures are applied throughout the film giving it an unusual feel," says Ranade, of the technique.
Music, however, remains an essential part of the film, as in Ray's film adaptation, with eight songs that are part of the narrative. The lyrics have been penned by Rohit Gahlowt, also the dialogue writer, while the band 3 Brothers and a Violin composed the music. "We have explored bharud, natya sangeet, nirgun, Kabir renditions, classical ragas and stotrams in the songs. There is an emphasis on both Goopi's voice and the sound of the drum that Bagha plays alongside," adds Ranade, who has also created the look and feel for UTV's animation film, Alibaba and the 41 Thieves.
While Ranade's previous works have mostly been distributed through various edutainment channels, especially new media, she is planning a theatrical release for Goopi Gawaiiya Baaja Bajaiiya. Animation hasn't been consistently successful at the box office, but Ranade believes the problem lies chiefly with the baggage of Hollywood animation films made on big budgets and the rut of mythology that Indian animation is stuck in. "We have not imitated the American style. Unless we speak in a voice that is ours, success will elude us," she says.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held