Another rape in Haryana, girl kills self
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
A 16-YEAR-OLD girl burnt herself to death in Jind district in Haryana on Saturday, soon after she had been raped by two youths. Over two dozen cases of rape have been reported in the state in the past month.
The police have arrested one of the alleged rapists, Naveen, as well as Meenu and Sanjeev, who reportedly helped in the crime. The second alleged rapist, Pradeep, is absconding. The victim as well as the accused belong to Jind's Sacchakhera village and are from the Balmiki community.
In a statement to the police before dying, Sharmila said she was raped for more than one hour by Pradeep and Naveen even as Meenu (Pradeep's sister-in-law) and Sanjeev kept guard. "The girl later went to her house and fearing the humiliation, poured kerosene on her body and immolated herself. On hearing her screams, the neighbours rushed to the spot and informed the police," said an officer.
Sharmila was initially taken to Narwana hospital and later referred to Rohtak's Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, where she succumbed to her injuries.
Sharmila was going home when she was allegedly pulled inside his home by her neighbour's son Pradeep. He took her to a room where his friends Naveen and Sanjeev were reportedly already present. Meenu was also at home. Sanjeev kept watch inside even as Pradeep and Naveen allegedly took turns raping her.
Sharmila's mother Rajkali said the boys were known goondas of the area. "Since Pradeep's cousin Manoj is a constable in the Haryana police, they also enjoy police patronage," she said, adding that the family was not at home when the incident took place and had been informed by the neighbours and police about what had happened. "We reached the hospital where our daughter was battling for life and could barely utter a few names and mentioned that she was raped by these boys."
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held