Another section of Signature Bridge to open in March
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The flyover at Khajuri Khas intersection in Northeast Delhi that is part of the eastern approaches of the Wazirabad Signature Bridge project will be ready for use by March-end. The flyover will end near Wazirabad and will help decongest the intersection, easing traffic movement between Bhajanpura and Yamuna Vihar and Sahibabad towards Wazirabad.
The flyover was to be ready by November last year.
The eastern approaches being constructed near Bhajanpura comprise a 1.8-km-long embankment to connect the main bridge with Marginal Bund Road at Khajuri Khas intersection. The flyover on the western approach was open to public earlier last year and helped connect Mukarba Chowk with ISBT.
Meanwhile, the entire project is not likely to be completed before September next year, with foundation work on the main bridge, which will connect the east and west side, having started only recently.
The project has been under-construction for nine years now and has missed several deadlines. The previous announcement on deadline set the date of completion as the end of this year.
"No work has taken place on the site for almost a year as we were awaiting clearances from the Forest department to cut trees. The process of getting clearances has delayed completion of work,'' an official from Delhi Tourism and Transportation Development Corporation Limited (DTTDC) said.
The project was announced in 2004 by the Delhi government at a cost of Rs 1,131 crore. The project was initiated with a plan of making this a landmark bridge, the surrounding areas were to be developed as tourist destinations. The project is divided into two parts, approaches and main bridge.
The work on the approaches started in June 2008. The proposed bridge is being constructed across Yamuna, 600 metres downstream from the barrage at Wazirabad, and will be a bow-shaped, cable-stay structure. The main deck of the bridge will be supported by cables, which in turn will be connected to a central pylon. The pylon, made of high-grade steel, is being manufactured in China. It will be shipped to India as asymmetrical blocks and assembled to make one structure.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow